Moose Spotlight: A Mix of Modern and Western-Inspired Jewelry Creations

"...It’s a hard craft but it’s so rewarding once you get the hang of it so keep trying even when it’s difficult!" 

- Nikki Einfalt, @smalltown.silver

 

 

 

MEET THE ARTIST

 

 

 

Jewelry Artist Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram

 

 

 

@smalltown.silver on Instagram
Meet jewelry artist Nikki Einfalt, from Upstate NY. She has been creating jewelry for two years now and is self-taught! Her gorgeous creations can be seen on her Instagram @smalltown.silver 💚
Her  passion for art and love for turquoise got her inspired to start making jewelry. In addition, Nikki wanted to try a new hobby to keep herself busy when the world shut down for a little bit in 2020 - she shared she threw herself into learning the craft of silversmithing.
"Starting out I was watching YouTube videos and trying to learn as much as I could on my own," Nikki said. Doing that, she had a whole bunch of trial and error that helped her learn a lot. Moreover, she also said there are a bunch of really helpful resources for beginners like The Metalsmith Society and the Jewellers' Academy!
Nikki will probably always remember the very first piece she has ever sold. "My mom has always been my biggest fan and best supporter of my artwork and I was so excited over my first turquoise ring I made that she bought it as soon as I showed her." How heartwarming! 💚
Let's check out some of Nikki's beautiful work!
 
Turquoise Ring by Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram
Turquoise Earrings by Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram
Turquoise Jewelry by Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram
ARTIST'S DESIGN STYLE
Nikki remembers her very first AHA! moment as a jewelry artist so vividly. She recalled, " I remember when I first started out I didn’t know the difference (and importance) of using jewelers solder vs electrical solder so I was using electrical for all my projects. Everything looked horrible and I ordered jewelry solder and had my “AHA!” moment because it was like night and day! Beginner tip: never use electrical solder for jewelry!" 💡
THE DESIGN PROCESS
Every jewelry artist has a different way or process of creating their pieces. For Nikki, she shared, "There is about 1% of the time where I have a plan on what I want to make and I’ll draw it out and make sure it’s how I pictured it in my head. The other 99% of the time, I’ll pick out a stone that I love and just design as I work. I’ll pick a bezel that I like, then add a decorative border if I think it fits and decide a band from there."
Nikki describes her jewelry design as a mix of a modern and western style. She tries to make pieces that are made both for every day wear or a night out on the town.

 

 

 

 

Here are a few more stunning creations by Nikki! 

 

 

 

 

Handmade Ring by Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram

 

 

 

 

 

 

Turquoise Rings by Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram

 

 

 

 

 

 

Jewelry Pieces by Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram

 

 

 

Handmade Jewelry by Nikki Einfalt of @smalltown.silver on Instagram 

 

 

 

 

 

JEWELRY DESIGN TIPS, TRICKS, AND HANDY TECHNIQUES

  

 

What's one design tip you one to share with your fellow artists?

 

 

 

"“If you can see the light something ain’t right” was something I heard in one of the tutorials I watched and always stuck with me. When soldering the bezel to the backplate, if you hold it up to a light you can see any holes or gaps where the solder didn’t flow so you can go back and try again!"

 

 

 

One piece of technical advice on creating.

 

 

 

"Always always always wear safety glasses and a mask when creating!"

 

 

 

 

Any words of encouragement or tips to those who are starting out in the world of jewelry-making?

 

 

 

"Don’t give up and ask for help if you need it! The whole silversmithing community is so welcoming and helpful and there are so many resources to help when you’re first learning the skill. It’s a hard craft but it’s so rewarding once you get the hang of it so keep trying even when it’s difficult!"

 

 

 

 

Lastly, Nikki's message to the universe:

 

 

 

Nikki Einfalt Blog Feature by Turquoise Moose

 

 

 

Check out her Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/smalltown.silver/

Browse her website: https://smalltownsilverjewelry.com/

 

 

Subscribe to our Newsletter for more updates. 💚

 

 

Leave a comment

All comments are moderated before being published

Recently viewed


More Mines